Sr. Environmental Scientist
Fiera Biological Consulting Ltd. is based in Edmonton, Alberta, and offers a broad range of environmental research, management, and monitoring services to clients throughout western Canada. Our firm also has a very active research and development program that is engaged in developing new and innovative methods for addressing important applied environmental management questions. For more information on Fiera Biological, including a description of our current team of scientists and recent projects, please consult our website at www.fieraconsulting.ca.
We are seeking a highly motivated, career-oriented Senior Environmental Scientist to lead and provide support on a variety of projects. The successful candidate will be exposed to a wide range of different projects, with a focus on municipal land management and planning projects, as well as a variety of applied research and development initiatives. They will be responsible for writing proposals, engaging with clients, setting and meeting deadlines, managing budgets, delegating tasks to staff, and ensuring high quality and rigorous work. The successful candidate will also be expected to contribute to report writing and data analysis, as required, and to provide support as needed on projects being managed by other Fiera staff. Individuals with a general understanding of a wide range of ecological and environmental planning principles, that are creative and innovative in their approach to problem solving, and have the ability to acquire knowledge quickly and communicate that knowledge effectively, will be highly successful in this position.
Starting Date: January 8, 2018 (negotiable)
- A degree in Ecology, Biology, Environmental Science, or related field, and at least five (5) years of professional experience working as an environmental scientist;
- Demonstrated understanding of municipal, provincial, and federal environmental policy and regulations;
- Project management skills and previous experience managing large and complex projects;
- Proven problem-solving abilities and a general understanding of a wide range of ecological concepts and principals;
- Demonstrated oral communication and writing skills, and a desire to work collaboratively as a member of a team to produce high-quality work;
- Demonstrated leadership skills and experience.
Assets: The following skills/experiences are not required, but may be an asset to the successful candidate:
- Experience working with ArcGIS to analyze and display spatial data;
- Previous experience working with Alberta flora and fauna, and experience with, and a desire to, conduct fieldwork;
- Current Standard First Aid certification.
Please submit a cover letter and resume electronically to the attention of Joseph Litke at info[at]fieraconsulting.ca
We appreciate the efforts of all those who respond to this advertisement; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
A PDF of this posting can be downloaded for distribution here: Job Posting_2017_SrEnvScientist