Job Opportunity: Sr. Remote Sensing Scientist
Fiera Biological Consulting Ltd. is based in Edmonton, Alberta, and offers a broad range of environmental research, management, and monitoring services to clients throughout western Canada. Our clients include municipal, provincial, and federal governments, ENGOs, universities, forest companies, engineering firms, as well as other environmental consulting firms. Our firm also has a very active research and development program that is currently engaged in developing new and innovative methods for applying remote sensing to a variety of different environmental applications. For more information on Fiera Biological, including a description of our current team of scientists and recent projects, please consult our website at www.fieraconsulting.ca.
We are seeking a highly motivated, career-oriented senior geomatics scientist to provide support for a variety of projects, and are looking for self-starting individuals who are interested in excelling both personally and professionally. The successful candidate will be responsible for obtaining and processing a wide variety of remotely sensed imagery and deriving spatial data products including land cover classifications, wetland inventories, and ecosite maps. The successful candidate will be well versed in processing both active and passive remotely sensed data, and deriving data products using sophisticated remote sensing techniques including machine learning, object-based image analysis, and supervised and unsupervised classifications. Furthermore, the successful candidate will be responsible for communicating analysis and results to staff and clients, setting and meeting deadlines, delegating tasks to staff, and ensuring high quality and rigorous work. The ability to acquire knowledge quickly, and communicate that knowledge effectively, is crucial to this position. Creative and innovative approaches to problem solving, and a desire to seek out new and emerging remote sensing methods to address environmental questions and problems will be critical to success in this position. Notably, the successful candidate will be expected to be actively involved in professional development and research and development activities, including engagement and collaboration with academics and publishing in peer-reviewed journals.
Starting Date: October 23, 2017 (negotiable)
Requirements: This is an excellent opportunity for an individual to join a cutting-edge, dynamic and supportive company. The successful candidate will demonstrate the following:
- Relevant postgraduate (MSc or PhD) qualifications in Geomatics, Applied Remote Sensing, Environmental Science, or related field;
- At least five (5) years of professional experience using remote sensing for environmental applications;
- Demonstrated experience in the applied use of Environmental Observation data, with expert understanding of remote sensing techniques used to process and derive spatial data from both passive and active sensors;
- Expert knowledge and experience of relevant image processing/GIS software packages (such as ENVI, ESRI, Sentinel Toolboxes, and other open source software);
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience using state of the art remote sensing techniques including object-based image analysis, machine learning, and data fusion;
- Experience automating routine tasks and creating custom remote sensing solutions in an appropriate programming language (Such as IDL, Python, or R);
- Demonstrated expertise in the analysis of terrain information from LiDAR data, including processing LiDAR point cloud data and creating Digital Terrain Models, Digital Surface Models, vegetation height and density models, and terrain derivatives;
- Proven problem-solving abilities and experience managing complex projects;
- Demonstrated oral communication and writing skills, and a desire to work collaboratively as a member of a team to produce high-quality work;
- Demonstrated leadership skills and experience.
Assets: The following skills/experiences are not required, but may be an asset to the successful candidate:
- Knowledge and experience of historical image analysis, and deriving spatial data products from large imagery archives;
- Experience working with big data, data science or data analytics, and advanced machine learning including deep learning;
- Formal experience working with ArcGIS to analyze and display spatial data and conduct sophisticated geospatial analysis;
- Knowledge and education in landscape ecology, physical geography, environmental science, geology, or other natural sciences;
- Previous experience working with Alberta flora and fauna, and experience with, and a desire to, conduct fieldwork.
Please submit a cover letter and resume electronically to the attention of Joseph Litke at info[at]fieraconsulting.ca
We appreciate the efforts of all those who respond to this advertisement; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.