Posted: June 4, 2021
We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced GIS Technician to provide support on a number of projects that require spatial data editing and the creation of detailed land cover classifications and wetland inventories. This highly technical work requires someone with previous experience interpreting and identifying land cover types (e.g., wetlands, forest, built features) from high resolution air photos and satellite imagery for the purpose of selecting training and validation data and manually editing classifications to achieve specified classification accuracies. A demonstrated ability to follow verbal and written instructions, including existing data management processes, standards, and workflows, is essential to being successful in this position, as is an ability to communicate effectively with team members.
- Diploma or degree in in geographic information systems, or in a related field, such as natural resources or geography;
- Expert knowledge of ArcGIS software, with experience capturing, converting, creating, editing, maintaining, and managing digital information in a GIS environment;
- A minimum of two years of professional or academic experience interpreting air photos and/or satellite imagery for the purpose of creating land cover classifications and / or wetland inventories;
- Experience creating a variety of digital, geographical, and descriptive products including thematic maps, terrain models, and associated descriptive statistics;
- Experience following and developing written specifications for data analysis and management;
- Ability to follow directions, work efficiently, and effectively communicate problems or issues to supervisors and other team members, as required.
- Familiarity with the common land cover types that are found in central and southern Alberta;
- Knowledge of wetland classes as per the Alberta Wetland Classification System;
- A strong understanding of ecological concepts and principles;
- Familiarity with ArcGIS programming interfaces/languages including ArcPy, Python, and ModelBuilder.
Deadline for Applications: June 25, 2021
Term of Position: This is a 6-month contract position, with the possibility of a contract extension or offer of full-time work at the end of the contract term.
Candidates that meet the qualification and educational requirements outlined above are invited to submit a cover letter and resume to the attention of Joseph Litke at info[at]fieraconsulting.ca. In your cover letter, please outline and describe your relevant experience with the following:
- Interpretation of air photographs and/or satellite imagery.
- Creation of land cover classifications or wetland inventories, including details related to the location/geography for which the data was created, and the purpose/application for the data. Please provide details related to your role in the development of the data.
We appreciate the efforts of all those who respond to this advertisement; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.