Job Opportunity: GIS Technician
Job Opportunity: GIS Technician
Fiera Biological Consulting is based in Edmonton, Alberta, and offers a broad range of environmental research, management, and monitoring services to clients throughout western Canada. We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced GIS Technician to provide support on a number of projects that require spatial data editing and the creation of detailed land cover classifications and wetland inventories. This highly technical work requires someone with previous experience interpreting high resolution air photos and satellite imagery for the purpose of selecting training and validation data and manually editing classifications to achieve specified classification accuracies. The ideal candidate is familiar with the common land cover types that are found in central and southern Alberta, and has experience identifying different classes of wetlands from air photos and satellite imagery. Additionally, the candidate is an expert user of ArcGIS software and has experience managing and editing raster and polygon data to ensure data integrity. A demonstrated ability to follow verbal and written instructions, including existing data management processes, standards, and workflows, is essential to being successful in this position, as is an ability to communicate effectively with team members.
Qualifications & Educational Requirements:
- BSc or technical diploma in a Geomatics, Environmental Science, or a related field;
- Expert knowledge of ArcGIS software, with experience routinely completing common data editing tasks;
- A minimum of two years of professional or academic experience with the following:
- Interpretation of current and historical air photos and/or satellite imagery for the purpose of creating land cover classifications and wetland inventories for Alberta landscapes;
- Spatial data management, including working with and organizing large image libraries and spatial datasets across multiple users;
- Experience developing and/or following written specifications for data interpretation and management;
- Ability to follow directions, work efficiently, and effectively communicate problems or issues to supervisors and other team members, as required.
Deadline for Applications: June 1, 2020
Starting Date: June 15, 2020(negotiable)
Termof Position: This is a 6-month contract position, with the possibility of a contract extension or offer of full-time work at the end of the contract term.
Candidates that meet the qualification and educational requirements outlined above are invited to submit a cover letter and resume to the attention of Joseph Litke at info[at]fieraconsulting.ca. In your cover letter, please outline and describe your relevant experience with the following:
- Interpretation of air photographs and/or satellite imagery.
- Creation of land cover classifications or wetland inventories, including details related to the location/geography for which the data was created, and the purpose/application for the data. Please provide details related to your role in the development of the data.
We appreciate the efforts of all those who respond to this advertisement; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
For your convenience, a PDF of this posting can be downloaded here: Posting